The Old Carpenter Tavern
In 1790, Nathaniel Carpenter and his sons, David and Abel, opened a tavern in Leyden, Massachusetts. It was located on a popular stage coach route, then known as the Ethan Allen Highway. Town meetings, auctions, and dances were held in the ballroom upstairs. In 1829, there was a major fire that destroyed much of the building. It was promptly rebuilt and continued functioning as a tavern until 1846 when the stage coach route was abandoned. The building has served as a private home since then. It is currently the home of Fred, Lois, Elizabeth, and Sprocket Feldman.