Fred Feldman's Website
last updated: May 2015
UMass Home Page
This is our dog, Sprocket. Here you see him sitting in a patch of early-morning
sunshine in our kitchen.
University of Massachusetts, Amherst
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Home Phone: (413) 774-4092
Fax: (413) 577-3800
187 Mid County
Road Leyden MA 01337
Targeting Welfare (Presented at Princeton Workshop on Well-Being, May 11, 2013)
True and Useful: On the Structure of A Two Level Normative Theory (Utilitas June 2012)
What To Do When You Don't Know What To Do (Presented at New Jersey Regional Philosophical Association, November 2011)
Review of Douglas Kenrick Sex, Murder, and the Meaning of Life (American Journal of Psychology)
Brueckner and Fischer on the Evil of Death (Philosophical Studies on line June 23, 2011.)
What we Learn from the Experience Machine (The Cambridge Companion to Robert Nozick's “Anarchy, State, and Utopia” ed. by John Meadowcroft and Ralf Bader, Cambridge University Press, 2011)
Death and the Disintegration of Personality (The Oxford Handbook of Philosophy and Death , co-edited by Ben Bradley, Fred Feldman, and Jens Johansson. Oxford University Press .)
- Happiness: Empirical Research: Philosophical Conclusions (from RoME I conference)
- Whole Life
Satisfaction Concepts of Happiness, (Theoria 74,3 September 2008: 219-238. )
- Happiness and Subjective Desire Satisfaction:
Wayne Davis's Theory of Happiness, Hommage a Wlodek -- A Festschrift for Wlodek Rabinowicz.
- The Open Question Argument: What it Isn't;
and What it Is, Philosophical Issues 15, 2005, Normativity, 22-43.
Utility, the Objection from Impracticality, and the Move to Expected
Utility, Philosophical Studies 129, 1 (May, 2006): 49-
Documents for 570 Distributive Justice can be found here:
Selected Journal Articles (see CV
for complete list of publications)
- Counterparts, The Journal of Philosophy 68 (1971): 406-409.
- On the Intrinsic Value of Pleasures, Ethics 107 (1997): 448-466.
Good Life: A Defense of Attitudinal Hedonism, Philosophy and
Phenomenological Research 65 (2002): 604-628.
- Adjusting Utility for Justice, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 55 (1995): 567-585.
Intrinsic Value, Philosophical Studies 99 (2000): 319-346.
- Desert: Reconsideration of Some Received Wisdom, Mind 104 (1995): 63-77.
- Some Puzzles About the Evil of Death, The Philosophical Review 100 (1991): 205-227.
- The Termination Thesis, Midwest Studies in Philosophy 24 (2000): 98-115.
- Obligations – Absolute, Conditioned, and Conditional, Philosophia 12 (1983): 257-272.
- The Principle of Moral Harmony, The Journal of Philosophy 77 (1980): 166-179.
- Epistemic Appraisal and the Cartesian Circle, Philosophical Studies 27 (1975): 37-55.
- Kripke on the Identity Theory, The Journal of Philosophy 71 ( l974): 665-677.
- Sortal Predicates, Noûs 7 (l973): 268-282.
- Hyperventilating About Intrinsic Value, The Journal of Ethics 2 (1998): 339-354.
- Selected Reviews
study of Unger, Living High and Letting Die, Noûs 32 (1998):
of Hare, Moral Thinking, Philosophy and
Phenomenological Research 44 (1983): 131-135.
of Mackie, Ethics, The
Philosophical Review 88 (1979): 134-137.
- Abstract of Pleasure and the Good Life:
On the Nature, Varieties, and Plausibility of Hedonism (Oxford: Oxford
University Press, 2004)
(available from OUP's website, Amazon.com,
and many other places)
entry in the Routledge
Encyclopedia of Philosophy, ed. E. Craig (Routledge,
- My Banquet Address for the Chisholm Memorial Conference, Brown University, November 10-12, 2000.
- Logic and Ethics, entry in the Encyclopedia of Ethics, 2nd edition, eds. L. Becker and C. Becker (New York: Routledge, 2001), pp. 1011-1017.
is Philosophy?, chapter from Fred Feldman, A Cartesian
Introduction to Philosophy (New York: McGraw-Hill, 1986).
- Playing God: A Problem for Physician
I was recently honored to have been awarded the Samuel F. Conti Faculty Fellowship. As a result of winning this fellowship, during AY 2013/14 I enjoyed the year off from teaching. I retired on June 1, 2014. I am still directing some dissertations but I no longer teach any courses.
I recently completed the manuscript of new book, tentatively entitled A Desertist Theory of Justice. In this book I present criticism of other popular theories of distributive justice; I present and defend my own theory. It is (as the title suggests) a version of the idea that justice is done when people receive the benefits and burdens that they deserve from their countries. The manuscript is currently (July 7, 2015) under review.
Hepplewhite Lamp Stand
Mantel and Fireplace Surround
Footstool, and Pot
Newport Style Queen Anne Highboy
Jenn Air Stainless Steel
Chest (For more information about the Wedding Chest, go to:
Hall Table #2
Alden's Bible Box (for more information about the Bible Box, go to:
Barn Door Project Before
Barn Door Project After
Vehicles and Implements
*1986 Harley-Davidson FXRT
1951 Ford 8n tractor with Dearborn bucket
loader and Woods Billy Goat mower
Simplicity snow blower
*2002 Ford Ranger
*2002 Ford Ranger after Ice Storm of December 2008
*1936 Chevy Pickup
*1952 Dodge half-ton pickup
*"Liberty Edition" 1100 cc. Harley-Davidson
*Early '60's Velocette
Venom Veeline Clubman
(Items marked with an asterisk are no longer in my collection.)
Grampa and Alden (January, 2010)
Elizabeth and Charger (circa 1986)
The Feldman Brothers (August, circa 2001)
Pippin Takes a Break (June 2004)
Fred (October 2004)
The Old Carpenter Tavern (Fred's home) (June 2005)
Tavern in Winter