Introduction to Mathematical Philosophy
In early 2009, I began a project to make Russell's Introduction to Mathematical Philosophy available free online. Kenneth Blackwell, of the Bertrand Russell Archives/Research Center, McMaster University, contributed to the project in a major way by not only error-checking the bulk of the edition but also comparing it against Russell’s handwritten manuscript, which turned up a number of errors in all previously published editions.
New corrections to the text (at least those of any significance) are marked in green in most of the editions below (except the .mobi version, which does not support color). The edition also contains a list of changes as an appendix. This is likely the most correct version of Russell’s book available anywhere. Nonetheless, if you discover any errors or additional discrepancies, please email me at email@example.com.
My version is available in many different sizes and formats. Most can be saved by right clicking on the link and choose “Save Target/Link as …”. The HTML version can be saved from within your browser when you navigate to it, or you can download the .zip file below.
(Recommended for printing, saving and reading offline, and viewing on portable reading devices with native PDF support. Most faithful to the original paper book.)
- PDF version 1; Letter paper, single page (8.5in × 11in, portrait orientation, large margins, 842.1 KB)
- PDF version 2; Letter paper, double facing pages (11in x 8.5in, landscape, medium margins, 802.8 KB)
- PDF version 3; A4 paper, single page (210mm x 297mm, portrait, large margins, 831.1 KB)
- PDF version 4; A4 paper, double facing pages (297mm x 210mm, landscape, medium margins, 738.0 KB)
- PDF version 5; small page for standard ebook-reader screens (90mm x 120mm, portrait, minimal margins, 1.1 MB)
- PDF version 6; tiny page for smartphones and other portables (50mm x 75mm, portrait, minimal margins, 1.7 MB)
- ZIP file containing LATEX source (used to create the PDFs, 227.4 KB)
HTML (Web page)
(Recommended for viewing online, or converting to another format. Offers customizable viewing options, such as font, font size, justification, etc.)
E-book and and plain text formats
(Reflowable formats for mobile devices, Nook, Kindle, tablets, etc.)
- ePub version (works on most e-book devices and software, 238.1 KB)
- Mobi version (for Amazon Kindles, 359.1 KB)
- Plain text (.txt) version (for textual analysis, etc., 410 KB)
(The versions above are made by converting the HTML source using the excellent Calibre e-book software.)
Bertrand Russell’s Introduction to Mathematical Philosophy is in the Public Domain.
This typesetting (including HTML and LATEX source code) and list of changes are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.
Please also visit the pages for the other online editions I have created:
- Bertrand Russell: The Principles of Mathematics (Free online edition)
- Ludwig Wittgenstein: Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus (Side-by-side-by-side edition)