Joonkoo Park, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor and Honors Faculty
Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences
Commonwealth Honors College
University of Massachusetts Amherst
email: joonkoo -at- umass -dot- edu
phone: +1 413 545 0051
fax: +1 413 545 0996
135 Hicks Way / Tobin Hall
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01003
Ph.D. in Psychology, University of Michigan (August 2011)
M.A. in Statistics, University of Michigan (August 2011)
Master of Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Carnegie Mellon University (August 2005)
B.S. in Industrial Engineering, Seoul National University (entered in 1998)
Academic & Professional Positions
2014-Present, Assistant Professor and Honors Faculty, University of Massachusetts Amherst
2011-2014, Postdoctoral Associate, Center for Cognitive Neuroscience, Duke University
2005-2006, Research Scientist, Korea Institute of Science and Technology
Link to the publications in my lab website.
Link to my citations in Google Scholar.
Awards and Honors
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 2017-2022
- Association for Psychological Science Rising Star, 2016
- Associate Member Select-Speaker Award, The Psychonomic Society, 2013
- Fundamental and Translational Neuroscience Fellowship, Duke University, 2012
- James McKeen Cattell Award for Outstanding Dissertation in Psychology, New York Academy of Sciences, 2012.
- Rackham Predoctoral Fellowship, Rackham Graduate School, University of Michigan, 2010.
- Clyde Hamilton Coombs Scholarship, University of Michigan, 2009.
- Rackham Graduate Student Research Grant, University of Michigan, 2008.
- Korea Honor Scholarship, Embassy of the Republic of Korea in the U.S.A., 2007.
- Information and Telecommunication National Scholarship, Republic of Korea, 2004.
- Kwanjeong Educational Foundation Scholarship (declined), 2004.
- Korea Science and Engineering Foundation Scholarship (declined), 2004.
- Graduated with Honors, Seoul National University, 2004.
- Army Commendation Medal, Secretary of the Army, U.S.A., 2003.
- University Fellowship, Seoul National University, 2003.
- University Fellowship, Seoul National University, 2000.
What Makes Us Human (Psych 201H at UMass)
Undergraduate GenEd honors course.
Designed and implemented from scratch.
Mind and Brain Development (Psych 650 at UMass)
Graduate seminar course.
fMRI Methods (Psych 891 at UMass)
Graduate lab-based course.
Developmental Psychology (Psych 350H at UMass)
Undergraduate honors course.
- Association for Psychological Science
- Cognitive Development Society
- Cognitive Neuroscience Society
- Korean-American Scientists and Engineers Association
- Organization for Human Brain Mapping
- The Psychonomic Society
- Society for Mathematical Psychology
- Society for Neuroscience
- Society for Research in Child Development
Please visit joonkoo.com for more.
I enjoy both cooking and eating. I believe light touches of fresh ingredients make the most delicious foods. My all time favorites are Neapolitan pizza, many dim sum items, most Cantonese dishes, and genuine Japanese ramen (especially Hakata style).
Korean is my native language, but growing up in Taipei, Hong Kong, and Beijing, I received formal education in English at English-speaking schools such as the International School of Beijing and I learned colloquial Chinese outside of school.
* Last publication update on Sep 2, 2014
* This website is best viewed with Firefox 2 and Internet Explorer 7 or above.