Hepplewhite Lamp Stand

I built this table during the last week of July and the first week of August in 2004 in Leyden, Massachusetts. (I went out to Bellingham Washington for 5 days in the middle of the project.) Most of the table is cherry. The interior drawer parts are pine and the front of the drawer is a thin piece of tiger maple – not exactly veneer, but sort of like it.

The design and construction of the table are directly derived from an article “One-Drawer Lamp Stand” by Mike Dunbar that appeared in the June, 2000 issue of Fine Woodworking. The article stresses the possibility of building the table with hand tools, but this table was built with the help of many power tools.

I had seen the article when the magazine came out. I immediately thought that I would like to build the table. But quite a lot of other projects intervened. I received a gift certificate (from Lois) for some wood at Christmas, 2003. Later in the spring of 2004 I finally went down to Amherst Woodworking in Northampton to get the wood. I selected the cherry at that time. I already had some tiger maple that was left over from the dining room table I built some time back. As it turned out, I made the legs from some old cherry that I had left over from some old project.

I built the table according to the plans described in the article (except for the way in which the top is attached to the frame).

The table was finished roughly in accord with the directions provided by Jeff Jewitt in his article “Finish Cherry ... Without Blotches” in Fine Woodworking for June, 1998. I used the “instant aging” method he describes on pp. 48-9. This involves proper sanding followed by a thin water-based dye; followed by light sanding to remove the raised grain; followed by a thin coat of amber shellac; followed by fairly dark gel stain; followed by a couple more coats of shellac.

The drawer pull is an antique finish, thistle design Hepplewhite drawer pull from the Horton Brasses catalog.

I subsequently built a second table according to the same plans. Unfortunately, I was unable to match the finish. As a result, I have a “pair” of tables that are very similar in shape, but quite different in color. Maybe I’ll use them in different rooms.

 

 

(back to main page)