I need help gathering names, weblinks, and biographical information for
Karl's former students! Please send contributions to this page to
- Adams, Richard: MFA Indiana University 1976. In 2015: Panama City, FL.
Studied with Karl Martz, Tatsuzo Shimaoka and
While studying with Martz, fired some of his pieces, including
carved porcelain bowls.
Formerly chaired art departments at two universities. Retired 1999.
Arbogast, Jan: Brown
County Craft Gallery
Waldron Art Center.
- Berg, David, Indianapolis IN.
bergstoneware.com. B.A. in Microbiology, Indiana University 1981.
- Black, David.
Internationally recognized sculptor and Professor
Emeritus, Ohio State University, Columbus OH.
- Blackburn, Antonio Montenegro (1929-2013). Teacher and artist.
Formerly professor of Sculpture and Design, University of Cincinnatti, OH.
After retirement, resided in White Plains, NY.
Stoneware Potter - Lecturer - Demonstrator.
(Student of Karl Martz from 1965-1969.)
- Fraser, Rosemary. Founded The Gallery, Bloomington, Indiana,
which has exhibited and sold the art and ceramics of Indiana Craftsmen
for over 25 years.
Barbara, Professor of Ceramics, Art Department, Texas A&M
University at Commerce. BFA Indiana Univesity 1976, MFA Syracuse University.
- Gearheart, Philip. (Deceased.)
- Goldberg, Aya Kimura. Los Angeles, California.
- Gorman, James. Connecticut.
- Guenther, John R. Professor of Fine Arts, Head of Ceramics Department,
Indiana University Southeast (email@example.com).
David Hostetler, Karl Martz, and Ralph Hurst in front of Lindley Hall
at Indiana University, ca. 1948.
Hostetler, David. Sculptor.
For his comments on Karl, see
Knotty Girls: One man's love affair with women and wood.
- Hymes, Del.
- Ichimura, Reiko Higashio. Tokyo, Japan.
studied with Alma Eikerman at Indiana University.
- Kapos, June. McLean, Virginia.
- Kondo, Yutaka. Kyoto, Japan. (Deceased.)
- Koop, Kathy. Professor of Art, Westminster
College, New Wilmington PA.
Photos and Artist's Statement.
Lee, Stanley, Ed.D, Bloomington, Indiana. Taught art education at
Indiana/Purdue University in Fort Wayne, Indiana; Fine Arts Coordinator from
1970 until retirement (1981). Studied with Karl Martz in the 1950's;
Karl also served on his Ed.D. committee in 1970. Lee contributed
23 Tales: Memories of Karl Martz to this website.
Marsh, Ginny (Virginia Jean).
- Marsh, Thomas (Deceased). Professor and Chair of Ceramics at the
University of Louisville, Kentucky. Marsh remembered Karl Martz as a
teacher who was
"understated, highly organized and meticulous. He gave students a great deal of freedom. For me,
it was magic. I loved it." (American Craft, vol. 57, no. 5, Oct/Nov 1997, page 22.)
- McWhirter, Jane Klock. Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Nettle, Wanda.
- Paradis, James.
Peeler, Richard (1926-1998)
- Reese, Claudia.
Cera-Mix Studios, Austin TX.
- Schwarz, Stacy Rowland, Gila, New Mexico. EMail
wschwarz (at) webtv (dot) net.
- Spinski, Victor.
Department of Art, University of Delaware.
Waters, Sara, Professor in Sculpture, Texas Tech University.
MFA Indiana University 1977.
Watkins, James C., Professor of Architectural Delineation in the
College of Architecture, Texas Tech University.
- Weakland, Jean M., MFA 1967. Professor Emerita (retired 1989),
Visual and Performing Arts Department, Faculty of Education,
University of British Columbia. Former studio:
Gale Gallery and Glashaus Pottery, Waldport OR USA; and Vancouver BC Canada.