Publications about Karl Martz
* Photographs of work included.
- 1940: page 17 of an unknown newspaper,
description of Karl Martz and his pottery by Ernie Pyle
in his column Traveling.
- *1954: page 158 in Encyclopedia Britannica Yearbook, 1954 --
Events of 1953
- *1957: page 27 in Ceramic Reference Manual, Glenn C. Nelson,
Burgess Publishing Co., Minneapolis.
- *1958: page 35 in Ceramic Decoration, Lois Culver Long,
American Art Clay Co., Indianapolis.
- *1958: Craft Horizons XVIII(4), April.
- *1958: page 6 in Ceramics Monthly, 6(4), April.
- *1960: page 14 in Ceramics, Glenn C. Nelson, Holt Rinehart & Winston.
- *1962: Clay Today, a portfolio from an exhibition of the same
name, State University of Iowa, Iowa City.
- *1967: Crafts -- 1967, a catalog from an exhibition of the same
name. Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana.
- *1968: A biographical article, pages 12-17 in Ceramics Monthly,
- *1969: Ceramic Art in America, a portfolio from the exhibition
"Twenty-five Years of Art in Clay -- USA", Scripps College, Claremont CA.
- *1971: page 194 in Ceramics, A Potter's Handbook, 3rd Edition,
Glenn C. Nelson, Holt Rinehart & Winston.
- *1974: Indiana Stoneware, a catalog from an exhibition of the
same name, Indianapolis Museum of Art.
- 1976: Who's Who in American Art.
- *1977: Karl Martz -- Potter -- Retrospective, catalog from
an exhibition of the same name at the time of Karl's retirement from
teaching, Indiana University Art Museum, Bloomington.
- *1977: Karl Martz Retrospective, pp. 27-34,
Ceramics Monthly, 25(5), May 1977.
Includes 8 color and 11 black and white large photographs
of Karl's pots, spanning 1934-1976.
- *1978: page 230 and color plate 4 in History of American Ceramics --
The Studio Potter, Paul S. Donhauser, Kendall/Hunt Publishing Co.,
- 1980: Dictionary of International Biography.
- *1981: page 102 and 8th color plate in Electric Kiln Ceramics,
Richard Zakin, Chilton, Radnor PA.
- *1988: page 193 in The History of American Ceramics, Elaine
Levin, Harry N. Abrams, NY.
- 1988: Lehner's Encyclopedia of U. S. Marks on Pottery, Porcelain,
- *1989: page 150 in American Ceramics, the collection of the
Everson Museum, Rizzoli NY.
- *1991: biographical article, page 46 in Studio Potter, 19(2).
- *1992: page C16 in Studio Potter: 20th Anniversary Collection.
(Karl was 80 years old!)
Publications authored by Karl Martz
Films by Karl Martz
A series of six films produced by the (then)
Indiana University Audio-Visual Center (now
Instructional Support Services, Media Resources),
Craftsmanship in Clay: