Please do not copy material from this website without asking permission: Text copied (with permission), or text that paraphrases/summarizes information, from this website must cite martzpots.org as the source.
Karl Martz (1912-1997)
produced ceramic art from 1934 through
the early 1990's.
He founded the Ceramic Arts Program in the Department of Fine Arts at
Indiana University (Bloomington) in 1945, where he taught studio ceramics
and ceramic history until his retirement in 1977. While on sabbaticals, he
worked in New York City (1952), Kyoto (1963) and Mashiko Japan (1971).
Examples of his work are in the permanent collections
of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington DC, the Museum
of Modern Art in Tokyo, the Museum of Decorative Arts in Lisbon, the
Museum of Contemporary Crafts in New York, the Walker Art Center
in Minneapolis, the IBM Corporation, the Minnesota Museum of Art
in St. Paul, the Hall Collection at the University of Nebraska,
and several museums in Indiana including the Indiana University Art
Museum and the Indianapolis Museum of Art. In 1992, Karl was
inducted as a Fellow of the American Craft Council.
Some of his work has been
auctioned on the Internet.
Karl's great talent and skill were matched by equally great humility. Those who knew him will remember his quiet, unassuming and down-to-earth manner. Although most of his work was in ceramics, Karl was also a talented illustrator and painter. As a teacher, he encouraged creativity and individuality, and was revered by many later-prominent students. In addition to being highly creative and working in many genres, he was a meticulous and technically-minded craftsman, loving tools and materials possessed of quality and beauty. Becky has observed that Karl enjoyed making tools as much as using them. Throughout his career, he was fascinated by glazes and glaze chemistry, constantly experimenting with glaze tests and often writing about his results. Karl never did high-quantity production pottery, preferring to craft unique, one-of-a-kind studio works.
Becky Brown (Margaret Rebekah Brown Martz,
produced ceramic art
from the 1940's through the early 1980's, and subsequently wrote
In 1936, Karl and Becky set up the Karl Martz Pottery in
Nashville Indiana. In 1943, Becky studied design with Alma Eikerman at
Indiana University. She apprenticed in ceramics
with Karl in the 1940's and 50's. During the 1950's, she and Karl operated the
Martz Studio in Brown County. Becky traveled extensively, visiting
museums, collections, and potters in their studios in New York, Kyoto, Tokyo,
and Mashiko Japan, Mexico, and Scandanavia.
In 1972, she worked for six weeks in the Daisei family pottery in Mashiko,
Japan. From 1970-1975 she was a partner in The Gallery of Bloomington, Indiana,
founded by Rosemary Fraser.
Becky originated a series of handbuilt animal sculptures possessed of
charm, dignity, and whimsey, her most distinctive works, beginning in the
1950's and continuing through the early 1980's.
Becky's work is in the collections of the following Indiana art enthusiasts: Thelma Battersby, Theodore Bowie, Pegram Harrison and Lawrence Clopper, Georgia and Larry Davis, Robert Dunn, Dean and Rosemary Fraser, Mary Gaither, Eric Koch, Lois Heiser and Julie Nilson, Onya LaTour McCann, Tennis and Mary Mahoney, Thomas and Ginny Marsh, and Hanus Grosz. She also has work in the collection of Thomas Turnquist of Englewood, Colorado, and Virginia Moore of Hoopestin, Illinois. Becky's work was carried at The Gallery (Bloomington, Indiana), the Alliance Museum Shop (Indianapolis Museum of Art), Fort Wayne Museum of Art Gift Shop, and the Haynie-Helm Gallery in Louisville, Kentucky. Some of her work has been auctioned on the Internet.
Brian, Becky, and Eric Martz in July 2002.
Painting is of Karl ca. 1938 by Edwin Fulwider.
Photograph by Brian Martz.