Stephen C. Earle (1839-1913)
Worcester Architect
One of Worcesters Most prominent and prolific architects of the 19th century He was Born in Liecester, MA to a prominent Quaker Family he moved to Worcester at age 14 when his father died.  He entered architectural training in the office of  Calvert Vaux one of New York’s most prominent architectural and landscape architectural firms. He also studied architectural drawing and perspective at the Cooper Union.
 
When the Civil War came entered military service, (although a Quaker) because of his strong Abolitionist convictions. He served as a medical corpsman and saw action in the eastern theater of war. Earle was mustered out in July 1863 and returned to Wocester to work in the office of Elbridge Boyden. In 1865 he left for Europe for a seven month  grand tour. In 1866 he opened his own architectural office.

In 1884 he undertook the commission for the New Chapel Library at the Massachusetts Agricultural College at Amherst. Our stately Romanesque Revival Chapel Library with its highly accented Pelham granite and Long Meadow brownstone polychromy was designed to house both a chapel / auditorium and the college library.

Earle indicated by his fenestration the functions of the rooms within.  The colorful stained glass incorporating a chrysanthemum motif in its rose windows and the round-arched windows of the second floor mark the chapel-auditorium portion. The Rectangular widows of the ground floor indicate the library and office rooms.

Trustee O. B. Hadwen of Worchester read the following description of the structure: first annual report at the meeting of the alumni library committee their first annual report at the meeting of the association in June 1884.